Thursday, March 1, 2012

Pineapple Chicken Lo Mein




I recently had a wicked craving for Chinese food.  I actually ended up cooking it two nights in a row…more on that later.  This is a Chicken Lo Mein recipe from Taste of Home that I modified slightly. 


( Julienned carrots and minced ginger. Embrace your sissy la la cooking terms )


I've been trying to limit carbs recently, especially breads, pastas, and starchy vegetables.  I wanted to make this dish with as much chicken and veggies as possible and cut down on the noodles.  Greasy delicious noodles.  Damn't why do you have to be so bad for me.  I chopped up some green and red bell pepper, julienned some carrots, and minced the garlic and ginger.  I meant to add onion too but didn't.  I've got terrible $#it term memory.  




So I thawed some frozen skinless chicken breasts and cut them into cubes.  Put them into a pan with some vegetable oil over medium high heat.  




Pour some linguini noodles, a little salt and olive oil into a pot of boiling water.

A few minutes of frying the chicken and it's time to add the veggies, garlic and ginger.  I strained 1/3 of the juice from the pineapple chunks into a bowl, poured out the rest, and added the chunks with the veggies. 

( If you're food doesn't look like a delicious rainbow then no one will want to eat it.  Truth )


Yes I know what you are thinking.  Why does he cook always cook enough food to feed a portly family of 5?  I'll tell you.  Just not this minute. 

In the bowl with the pineapple juice I added the1/3 cup of low sodium soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and a tablespoon more vegetable oil. 

When the noodles were cooked, I strained and added them to the pan.  I poured the sauce bowl on top and mixed it all together.   



After letting that fry for a little bit, the Chicken Lo Mein is done. So what goes well with Chicken Lo Mein?  In the spirit of low carbs I made another meat dish. 



I pan fried some chicken wings in a little vegetable oil for about 12-15 minutes until they were golden brown. Then I used a store bought spicy Sczechwan sauce mix to coat the wings in.  The sun bird mixes at Kroger are stupid good…but Warning: the levels of sodium in those bad boys is probably considered toxic among your health nut friends. Or just any reasonable human being in general.  Delicious.  



I also tried a recipe for soy glazed green beans which was just ok.  


Typically on recipes like this I cut down on the fatty ingredient measurements. In this case I should have just followed the recipe.  The more butter and oil you use the better it will taste.  Just snap the ends off some fresh green beans, put them in boiling water for three minutes, then strain and add them to a pan with the butter, oil, garlic and pour the soy sauce on top.  Let them fry over medium high heat for an additional 5 or so minutes.  

( If you touch this picture on your computer screen your fingers will get greasy )


After pounding my intestines with this meal, I did in fact make Chinese again the very next night....Broccoli Beef.  I will post part two of the Chinese feast next.  And yes, I did end up with a crap ton of leftovers.  Most people complain that cooking for one is either not worth the trouble, or you end up with too many leftovers. I'm also going to show you what I did with all of these leftovers... stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment